Liveblogging: Photo Plus Expo in New York City
Thursday, 9:45 AM: Hello, this is a live blog from the Javits Center. I’m in New York City this week at Photo Plus Expo, which I will be writing about here.
The Preview opened with three renowned photographers - Dirck Halstead, Frans Lanting, and Joel Meyerowitz - discussing their recent photography books[1] accompanied with slide shows. No offense to Meyerowitz, whose work I admire, and I hope he finds this funny, but I couldn't help but notice that the shadow he made on the wall while giving his talk was reminiscent of Count Orlok from Nosferatu.

Here's Dirck Halstead with his famous photo of Clinton greeting Lewinsky in the background.

After the talks, we were escorted upstairs where several big-name vendors such as Hewlett Packard, Sony, Canon, and Nikon gave us previews of all the shiny new things that the public will see on the expo floor when Photo Plus opens at 10 AM Thursday. Of note are the Canon PowerShot G7, Nikon Coolpix S7c, Fuji FinePix S5 Pro, HP DesignJet Z3100 large format printer, and Hahnemule Fine Art Photo Print Paper.
Popular Photography & American Photo will be doing podcasts from the expo floor if you are interested in learning about the up-to-the-minute updates and gear reviews.
I'm going to go walk the floor now, and will update later with more in-depth gear reviews and notes from the Expo floor. If you’re on the Expo floor, text message me at 626-416-9217 and say hi.
Here's a random phone cam shot from the subway.

[1] Photo books: Halstead - Moments in Time, Lanting - Life: A Journey Through Time, Meyerowitz - Aftermath: A World Trade Center Archive.
<< Home